Re: netfilter digest, Vol 1 #570 - 12 msgs

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 01:20:12PM +1300, Ian Batterbee wrote:
> >Subject: How does squid know original destination?
> >From: Robert Vazan <robertvazan@host.sk>
> >
> >If I forward intranet -> internet connections to a proxy program, how do
> >I discover from within my proxy what was original internet destination?
>
> The important line here is the "Host:" line, ie, the browser puts the name
> of the site it wants to connect to as part of the HTTP request.

I know about this and I feared this is the way squid is doing it.
Unfortunately, I am not doing HTTP proxy, I want to proxy everything. I
implemented my own TCP/IP stack in old version of my program. I hoped I
could use existing TCP/IP stack in operating system for new version.

The outstanding question is, what were those remarks about NAT options
in getsockopt manpage? I am not dropping hopes yet. I know that TCP/IP
stacks *can* do transparent proxying if they want.