question on mdev patch

    Hello Guys,

    I got some question about mdev netfilter patch. I've tried to contact
its author ( Jay ) but message couldnt be delivered, seems some DNS
problems on his domain. So, here it is ... hope Jay subscribes this
mailing with another address :)

    And if some other persons uses mdev patch and could give me some
advices too, I'll be thankful.

    Sincerily,
    Leonardo Rodrigues

-------

    Hi Jay,

    I'm trying to use your mdev patch posted on netfilter mailing list ( =
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=3Dnetfilter&m=3D103242357315342&w=3D2 ). =
It seems to work, but I'm having some problems with it and I'd your =
opinion about that :)

    Let's suppose I have this set of rules on FORWARD chain:

-A FORWARD -m mdev --i eth0:eth4 --o eth1:eth2 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -m mdev --i eth0:eth4 --o eth3 -j DROP

    Well ....... what I want is:
1st rule: allow all traffic to flow from eth0-4 to eth1-2
1nd rule: deny ALL traffic from eth0-4 to eth3

    It's not working as desired. Seems that ALL traffic from eth0-4 is =
getting ACCEPTED on first rule because of the --i option, no matter what =
the --o is.

    As a workaround, I've build these rules:

-A FORWARD -m mdev --i eth0:eth4 -o eth1 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -m mdev --i eth0:eth4 -o eth2 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -m mdev --i eth0:eth4 -o eth3 -j DROP

    ( note I've used single -o not --o . These rules works as expected )

    Question: do your patch handle the situation where --i AND --o are =
specified ? Seems that if I specify ONLY --i OR --o your patch works =
fine, but specifying both seems, at least on my tests, to not work as =
expected. Would you mind in check this ?

    And thanks for mdev patch, it's a very great idea and, at least for =
me, will be very useful :)

    Sincerily,
    Leonardo Rodrigues