Broadcast layer2 forwarding (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)

Hello,

            I’m currently trying something rather unique with IPtables and need an opinion.  I’m trying to forward and manipulate a packet with the following ip address:

Source 192.0.0.1

Destination 192.0.0.2

If the MAC addresses on these are standard, manufacturer assigned addresses, everything works fine.  If I manipulate the MACs with ifconfig and set them to ALMOST any other MAC, everything works fine, however when I set the MAC to a layer 2 broadcast (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF), IPTables stops forwarding the packet.

Now, the question is:

Where is this packet being trapped and dropped?  Is it in the kernel (routing)? Or is IPtables dropping it?  Is the Ethernet card dropping it?

I’m going to try to build a test version of the latest iptables source and put some debug stuff in to find out if iptables is seeing this packet, however I was hoping someone well educated with IPtables might enlighten me as too what is happening here.

NOTE:  I am fully aware of the bizarre setup that I am using and the MAC layer address issue.  This is not standard.  I’ve been tasked to fix a custom software broken IP problem with a device that will mangle packets for me and retransmit them as if they were not broken.  Linux is of course the obvious choice and iptables does 99.9999 % of what I need it to do.  It works fine and does well up to this broadcast MAC.  I just can’t get passed this last hurdle.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

Tim

If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the addressee, please note that this message may contain ITT Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. You should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of ITT is neither endorsed by nor attributable to ITT.