Re: Iptables 'hang'

Hi David,
the nis service as nfs are service based on rpc calls. Without going
into details this services cannot be accessed directly but there is a
"supervisor" called portmapper wich client asks something like:
"at which port is nis listening?" and it asks with the assigned local
nis port.
iptables starting up dose some direct lookups to lookup itself for
example as 127.0.0.1 or interface addresses. iptables to do this uses
resolver libraries wich are used from many network client application
for example "ping" and this lookup are determined by nsswitch.conf.
Normally inside this file you should got something like:
hosts:          files dns
This states that when looking up host names you should first check files
(in this case /etc/hosts) and then check dns (in this case
/etc/resolv.conf). You should also have something like:
hosts:          files dns nis
or
hosts:          nis files dns
in this case nis is looked up first using udp protocol, and as stated
before using nis directly you must ask portmapper (111 udp port).
So why you got delay?
Because of your rules nis was timing out and iptables was waiting for
nis or dns timeout. This could also happen if you have something like:
hosts:          files dns
and the dns for any reason is not reachable and your files (/etc/hosts)
does not contain a correct mapping between name and ip address.
Hope to have answered your questions, if you still need more just ask!
bye

Marcello