question about NAT

Hi,

I'm trying to get a firewall working with iptables.

My internal network uses real IP numbers, not private
address ranges.  I need to do this as I need to allow
another network access to multiple machines, all ports,
on my network at times.

I am using Firestarter.. or at least started off with
it and I am modifying the rules and using firestarter
for a monitor.

My problem is... and I was somewhat surprised by it...

Enabling NAT with firestarter works ok, but, because
I am using real IP numbers and have a smart router,
machines on the Internet side of my firewall could still
ping, etc, machines on internal side of the firewall as they
have real IP addresses... which sort of makes sense as
ip_forward is enabled... though I thought I would need
a static route to actually forward things... not sure
I'm using Redhat 8.0 .. .my older system uses Redhat
6.2 and it doesn't do this.

So.. after poking around and trying to stop this, I finally
seem to have found the place to stop this happening,
in the PREROUTING chain, I have done a

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 193.243.232.0/26 -j LOG
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 193.243.232.0/26 -j DROP

the first bit works... but the second bit doesn't... machines
on the Internet side of the firewall can't see internal network
machines, however, if you do try and ping one of them, nothing
goes in the logs. I've read the NAT howto and a few other docs,
but I can't see any reason why this would be, I would like to
monitor this for scans and stuff.  Can anyone enlighten, or
point me to docs that would?  And as usual, if I am doing this
complete wrong, I'm certainly open to any comments on how it
should be done.

Thanks

Bill