RE: portfw on iptables 2.4 kernel problem.

Hi

I have the same problem here. Using kernel 2.4.19-pre9, where I just can't forward port 80. Port 8080 works for instace fine. I have also tried to redirect all requests on port 80 to port 8080, but without any luck. When connecting to port 80 the browser just hangs. I can see in the apache log on the webserver that it gets the request, so I think it is a problem of the packets not getting back through the firewall and to the browser.

I just can't see what is wrong. I even tried the following rules to see it that would help, but it didn't

iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth1 --dport 80 -j DNAT --to <http_ip>:80
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

This is not my usual firewall script, but I can't think of a more open one :)

Anybody knows of this might be a problem with the 2.4.19 kernels, I have a 2.4.18 firewall as well on which forwarding IS working, with the same ruleset.

thanks

/Rasmus

At 09:09 12-12-2002 +0100, Reckhard, Tobias wrote:
Following up to myself...

> Then that's where our impression differs. I have thought up
> to now that
> INPUT is hit before PREROUTING before FORWARD before
> POSTROUTING before
> OUTPUT. And that a packet may stop being processed between
> PREROUTING and
> FORWARD as well as between POSTROUTING and OUTPUT.
>
> I may check the one NATing firewall I have running.. later.

I just did check that machine and you're right, I was wrong. So INPUT and
OUTPUT rules shouldn't be required in the case we're discussing.

Cheers,
Tobias