IP Accounting and performance

Hi all,

Perhaps you can give me some hints on a performance problem that I'm
currently experiencing with iptables.

The situation is as follows:

I have a firewall currently running kernel 2.4.20, Celeron 1 GHz and 512 MB of RAM
that should do traffic accounting based on single IP addresses. I thought it would be more
efficient to use iptables than writing a standalone application using pcap or the like.

I need to add filtering rules like

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -s ip_address/32
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -d ip_address/32

for about six class-C networks (this means about 3000 iptables rules).

The average throughput is around 3 Mbits / second.

After I've added those rules, the latency in ping times to a machine behind
the firewall increases from 30 ms to over 200 ms ...

Now my question is if I can speed those things up ... do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Gerald