HOW TRAVERSING CHAIN IN SNAT/DNAT

Hi list!

My question is:

I need to filter packet coming from eth1 (external lan) directed to eth0 (internal lan).
Packet for internal lan must be SNAT to reach external lan.
In this enviroment filter table see packets traversing FORWARD chain as normal source and destination and i let it pass.
SNAT change source address with nat address indicated (3 ip address configured on the box as alias of eth1) and then send packets.
When packets return as reply to my natted connection, the chain/chains involved are:

only input ?
input and forward ?
only forward?

Someone can explain me this in detail?