Think I want to use libipq

I want to write a filter in userspace.
Comparing dns lookups to a blacklist and possibly
other things.

Questions:

My strong impression is to use libipq and
target QUEUE.   Correct?

Netlink sockets is deprecated? or is libipq like a wrapper?

It seems that I need a current iptables to do this, but my 2.4.18 kernel
is fine, this is a little confusing.

My 2.4.18 kernel  .config doesn't seem to have CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE
and I can't seem to brute force it in.  Can't get ip_queue.o to build.  ??

Any one heard of a Python libipq module?  I've seen the Perl version
but I have Python on my very tiny router and don't want to add Perl.
If not I'll code in C.

Thanks