Cisco Logging THOUGH iptables firewall to seperate syslog machine

I guess this is more of a syslogd question, but iptables is part of the
issue, so it's not too far off topic:

I have a Cisco Router on my ISDN connection, and behind the Router sits
an iptables firewall (RedHat 8.0). Behind the firewall is, among other
things, my loghost (RedHat 8.0 as well). I got syslogd running with "-r
-x", and it would accept redirected kernel messages from the firewall,
but would not register anything from the Cisco. I could see the packets
in the log being DNAT'ed, but I suspect syslogd rejected them as not
being from a local machine.

Instead, I started up syslogd on my firewall with "-r -x -h" and am
accepting the Cisco messages (coming from a local host in this case),
and forwarding them to the loghost (which seems to work). It took just a
little bit of rule-mashing to get things running smooth.

My question: this can't really be the best way to do this? Am I missing
something (or perhaps I just need a different syslog daemon)?

Don