BUG(?) - SNAT causes networking to stop.

I had a goofy problem quite awhile ago that sounds a lot like yours -
I couldn't ping the router box from the LAN unless the router box was
already pinging the particular LAN box from which I was trying to ping
the router.

I didn't use strace, but tcpdump showed me that the packets were
indeed _not_ on the wire.

After banging my head for awhile, I tried a different (identical)
network card in the router for the LAN.  The unusual ping problem was
gone immediately without a single change to the firewall rules.

It's worth a shot.

Darrell Dieringer - Madison, WI