counting packets and bytes

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Antony Stone wrote:

> If you want to put all your "targetless" rules in a single user-defined chain
> (for example, called "counters"), and then jump to that chain from INPUT,
> OUTPUT or FORWARD, it will not change the logic of your ruleset (no packets
> will get ACCEPTed, DROPped or REJECTed - they will simply all fall out of the
> end of your user-defined chain and then contineu as before), and you can get
> a display only of these packets by listing only that chain, eg:
>
> iptables -L counters -n -v -x

ah, it occurs to me to wonder -- if i create a separate user-defined chain
for a bunch of rules just for the purpose of counting packets for each
rule, i don't *need* to have a target for those rules -- processing will
just continue until i run out of rules.

but if i *know* that the rules are mutually exclusive and that there will
be no overlap between them, i can add a RETURN jump at the end of each to
speed up the processing, right?

rday