static IP, different gateway & dns

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 2:52 pm, Clayton Check wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can iptables NAT or handle nodes that have static IP address not on the
> same subnet as the iptable box, also with different gateway configuration
> and different DNS config?

Yes, netfilter can NAT anything which passes through it.   It doesn't care
what the original or translated addresses are.

> Overview
> A linux box with iptable acts as a gateway to connect several clients to
> the Internet. However, the clients behind this gateway have static IP
> addresses and different gateway and dns configuration. Lets assume that
> changing their network configurations are not possible.
>
> Can iptables handle this sort of networking?
>
>                              |--- 192.168.1.12 (gw: 192.168.1.1)
>
> ---- eth0 (iptables) eth1 ---|--- 192.168.10.25 (gw: 192.168.10.1)
>                   10.0.0.1/8 |
>
>                              |--- 202.145.23.25 (gw: 202.145.0.5)
>                              |--- 10.0.0.16 (gw: 10.0.0.1)

Put it like this: if you can get the packets to pass through netfilter, it
will do the NAT for you.

My feeling about the network setup you've described above is that the packets
you're interested in won't be routed through the netfilter box, therefore it
won't be able to do anything with them.

Antony.

--

Anything that improbable is effectively impossible.

 - Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Prizewinner in Physics