nmap

>  >> But... what do you want to do by filtering OUTPUT ? Sure, you can drop
>  > INVALID
>  >> packets, filter floods, stop packets coming from root and so on, but
if
>  > you
>  >> want to allow normal internet activity from the box, you have to allow
NEW
>  >> connections on OUTPUT to any host/port...
>
>  > There's always a (good) chance that someone will comprimise the machine
and
>  > use it to DDOS, scan, spam etc - filtering output to allow only what
you
>  > need for normal usage (dns, web, ping etc) makes it less useful as a
hacked
>  > box.
>
> If you allow users to mail, you allow them to spm. If you allow users to
send
> requests on tcp 80, you allow them to participe in a DDOS, and so on.
> There is no real way to sort  out "clean" and "bad" actions at the
firewall
> level... The only thing you can do is using the 'limit' macth to prevent
> some kinds of DoS. And allowing only some ports can be very limitating
> for users, since some web servers listenon other ports, they may want to
use
> cvs pserver (and you didn't think to allow 3128) and so on...

Would I be right in thinking that the OUTPUT chain only filters traffic
originating from the firewall box itself, and that any traffic coming from
your clients would fall into the FORWARD chain?  If that is the case, then
filtering OUTPUT would have no effect on your users' ability to surf, mail
etc, but only on the firewall box's ability to generate traffic.

Gavin