Masquerading

Just looking at iptables.

Normally a reply to a masq'd packet coming into the network will
have the destination IP of the g/w. So if the NAT for masq is done
in POSTROUTING (after filtering) do I need to except INPUT packets
to ports in the masquerading range (~61000:65535 ????) ?

The Linux 2.4 Packet Filtering HOWTO appears to suggest that I can
ignore the fact that I'm nat'ing and use forwarding rules for packets
being masq'd and de-masq'd and that I do not need to worry about
INPUT for packets that are going to my masq'd range.

Have I understood this correctly ?

thanks,

Wilson

P.S. I'm not subscribed here. Can you reply to:
research at mclachlan dot com dot au