nmap

thanks for that :-)

Andy Wood <andy.wood@sptrm.com>@lists.netfilter.org on 10/22/2002 05:46:26
PM

Sent by:    netfilter-admin@lists.netfilter.org

To:    Antonio Paulo Salgado Forster/Brazil/IBM@IBMBR
cc:    netfilter@lists.netfilter.org
Subject:    RE: nmap

echo 32768 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max

 Value should depend on RAM

-----Original Message-----
From: Antonio Paulo Salgado Forster [mailto:aforster@br.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 3:19 PM
To: Antony Stone
Cc: netfilter@lists.netfilter.org

I  had problems on scanning through netfilter depending on the kind of scan
you run.. One of the problems you may face in case you run a ACK scan from
segment that has the permition for the traffic, you will have your
conntrack
full in a few seconds with ESTABLISHED connections that will take long to
disappear.. The same will happen when portscanning from the firewall box
with a default policy for OUTPUT set as ACCEPT.

One of the ways to fix this is to increase the size of the conntrack.. I
use
to do that when creating the box by changing the source code and
recompiling
the kernel... but I dont know if there are any side effects on doing that..

--Regards,

Forster

Antony Stone <Antony@Soft-Solutions.co.uk>@lists.netfilter.org on
10/22/2002