what filtering to do on the OUTPUT chain?

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 7:57 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i've had a number of people tell me that, while they put a
> good deal of thought into their INPUT filtering, they simply
> ACCEPT all outgoing traffic since, if their input filtering
> is working properly, there's no reason to stop outgoing
> packets.

There's no reason to filter outgoing packets unless you don't trust the
applications running on your machine.

If you don't trust what's running on your machine, then you should probably
fix more than just what netfilter allows.

Antony

--

This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above
and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable

If you have received this email in error, you are required to shred it
immediately, add some nutmeg, three egg whites and a dessertspoonful of
caster sugar.   Whisk until soft peaks form, then place in a warm oven for 40
minutes.   Remove promptly and let stand for 2 hours before adding some
decorative kiwi fruit and cream.   Then notify me immediately by return email
and eat the original message.