nmap

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 4:42 pm, antonio wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just a question:
> I want to set up a firewall box with iptables in which I can use nmap.
> Which ports/protocols can I set to ACCEPT and which to DROP?

Do you mean you want to run nmap on a box also running netfilter, to scan
other machines ?

If so, set your OUTPUT policy to ACCEPT, set your INPUT policy to DROP with a
single rule:

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

and you'll be able to scan other machines and get the replies back, but
anything new coming in to your machine will be blocked.

If I didn't understand correctly what you wanted to do please give more
details.

Antony.

--

Which part of 'apt-get dist-upgrade' do you not understand ???