Rules not taking effect

I'm using 1.2.6a-5 for debian, using init.d scripts. The problem is that
when I write a rule, it does not take effect. I have also found that a
rule I had in place from earlier and I flushed it, still worked even
though iptables -t nat -L showed nothing. I've been told that the module
ip_conntrack may have something to do with this, but I cannot rmmod it
because it's busy and insmod says it's already there.

Any ideas on what I can do?

<EOL>
Tib