IPSec passthrough with iptables

Just to muddy the waters, through experimentation, I have found that using
Checkpoint SecuRemote (on windows) behind a Linux netfilter firewall, I can
achieve an IPSEC connection using just:

iptables -A FORWARD -s $INTERNAL_NET -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -d $INTERNAL_NET -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED \
         -j ACCEPT

I.e. explicit per-protocol forwarding seems unnecessary.  (Though you might
want to be explicit for security/control reasons.)  [Note, no UDP
encapsulation, either]

I do experience weird time-outs occasionally, apparently connected to
incoming IKE packets (UDP port 500) that aren't recognized as connected,
but I can get around this by just accepting them to the firewall, which
does nothing as there is nothing running on that port.  (I'm trying
variations of reject/drop to see if there is a better way to reply.)

Regards,
David