Connection opening problem (prev: FTP/auth problems (slooow links))

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 10:21 pm, Svein E. Seldal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The root of my problem was this:
>  > [0:0] -A SYNFLOOD -m limit --limit 1/s --limit-burst 4 -j RETURN
>  > [0:0] -A SYNFLOOD -j DROP
>  > [0:0] -A CHECK -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST,ACK SYN -j SYNFLOOD
>
> When the HTTP/FTP-clients etc. spawned several connections (in this case
>  >4) to download files, the router blocked them.
>
> I guess that it adds protection to keep the SYNFLOOD check there. What
> are sensible values to use on -m limit, making it work for flooding, yet
> not stopping normal clients?

I would suggest that 10 connections within one second is reasonable for a
normal client.

However 30 connections within 3 seconds would seem excessive.

50 concurrent connections within any period of time from one client to one
server seems unnecessary.

It would be nice if there were a way in netfilter to limit the number of
half-open connections to/from a given machine - then you could accept all the
SYNs you liked, so long as they were followed by SYN-ACK and ACK, but SYNs
without a SYN-ACK, or SYN-ACKs without an answering ACK, would get blocked.

Antony.

--

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.
You'll feel much better about things once you do.