Making iptables gateway transparent to outside...

I have seen this link on how to make a bridging firewall essentially
invisible:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue76/whitmarsh.html

The question I have is there a poor man's way of doing it via simple (or
complex ;-) iptables rules?

The reason I ask is that I have many iptables boxes out there and I do
not wish to have to install/recompile, etc.  A simple tweaking of the
rulesets would be grand!