iptables and suddenly refused connections for vpn

Hi,

Can enybody suggest how I could track down a problem with sometimes refused
connections? Couple of times a week nobody can make a vpn connection to our
poptop vpn server. In /var/log/messages I get the following error:

pptpd[4374]: GRE: read(fd=5,buffer=8055a20,len=8260) from network failed:
status = -1 error = Connection refused

When I restart my firewall everithing gets ok for a while again. How to find
out what's going on with the pptpd or iptables (or maybe with the kernel)?
And how to understand the components of the message from pptpd? I guess the
problem is not in pptp, as restarting the firewall rules solves the issue.