how to block 10000's of addresses?

--------------enig4E7E7BCDF43B15755C880C76

>>Standard routing uses the destination to look up what to do.  This will
>>need to be based on source address.  Apparently the policy routing has this
>>capability, but the documentation for that stuff is rather vague so far.
>>

>Yes, I was suggesting that you use policy routing, but I believe that still
>has the same sort of "reject" destination as the standard "route" command, so
>you don't need to actually send your unwanted packets on anywhere.

Nope, the IP-Route2 command is well explained. AND you can select
between more than one filter.
unchreachable or blackhole
unreachable send's an command back (ICMP)
and blackhole redirect the packet to the fast null device *eg*

But to catch bursts and i think whats you talking about there are two
other solutions.
- netfilter with limit/psd/recent
- ip/tc with bandwith management based on the syn flag

Cu Thomas Lußnig

p.s. It is not an good idee to drop the syn packets since if there come
no connect the sender retry it for some times.
Bether solutions would be sending RST packets that finaly tell the
sender that you are not willing to accept connection.
Even if the you wan't to block an FIXED set of IP's permanently for SMTP
you can with DNS and view based give them
an wrong (127.0.0.1) DNS solution for the MX.

Cu Thomas Lußnig