how to block 10000's of addresses?

Hi Phil

You wrote:
> I would like to know how best to block 10000's of addresses using
> netfilter.  Clearly I do not want to be placing 10000's of individual
> filter table entries in.

Do you know nf-hipac? Michael Bellion and I made an announcement
on the netfilter list some time ago.
It's a new framework which implements a packet filter that maintains
the semantics of linear lists of rules while the matching algorithm
is much more efficient than just matching rules sequentially.

nf-hipac is a registered sourceforge project:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nf-hipac/
You find some additional information (including a performance test)
on our homepage: http://www.hipac.org/
The missing documentation will be available soon (next week) but as
the userspace tool of nf-hipac uses the same syntax as iptables it
should not be a problem for you to cope with it. You don't even
have to recompile your kernel.

Finally, nf-hipac and iptables can be used at the same time. This might
be interesting for you if you need matches/targets which we do not yet
support. There is just one important thing to notice: the order in
which the packet filters are called. Currently,  the iptables filter
table is called before nf-hipac. If you need it the other way around
tell me and I'll send you a mini patch.

Regards,

Thomas