Bad argument `53'

On Thursday 10 October 2002 3:17 am, David F. Strauch wrote:

> I?ve just started writing the script to allow DNS Loopkups as a client with
> the following:
>
> iptables -A OUTPUT -o $INTERNET -p udp \
>          -s $IPADDR --sport $UNPRIVPORTS \
>          -d $NAMESERVER --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

Why are you specifying Source Address and Port on an OUTPUT rule ?

> iptables -A INPUT  -i $INTERNET -p udp \
>          -s $NAMESERVER --sport 53 \
>          -d $IPADDR --dport $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

Is it really necessary to specify Destination Address and Port on an INPUT
rule ?   How many addresses do you have on your interface, and why would you
only want some of them to receive DNS replies ?

> When I execute the script with sh /etc/rc.d/rc.firewalls I receive Bad
> argument `53' for every instance of either  --dport 53 or --sport 53.  I?ve
> also tried --destination-port and --source-port with out any success.

Check what the earlier variables in the command contain.   I think you'll
probably find one (or more) of them is empty.

Antony.

--

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.
You'll feel much better about things once you do.