curious about address specification and port specification

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 12:14 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   more annoying questions, before i head out for the day:
>
> 1) is there anything meaningful about some sample address filter
>    clauses i've seen that read "-s 0/0" or "-d 0/0"?

No, this is not meaningful, and in my opinion should be removed from rules
because it only clutters them up and serves to confuse peope about what it
might mean.

>    doesn't
>    this just mean no filtering on either source or destination?
>    is there any value to these matches other than making it
>    explicitly clear that no address filtering is being done?

No.   -s 0/0 means "any source", and -d 0/0 means "any destination".

> 2) in all of the docs i've read, the claim is that port matching is
>    an implicit match within either UDP or TCP matching and that you
>    *must* specify a protocol before you're allowed to specify ports.

This is correct.   The --dport or --sport options are invalid without also
specifying -p tcp or -p udp

>    however, i've certainly seen and used rules that refer to a port
>    or ports without first specifying a protocol.  is the documentation
>    just misleading here?

Can you give an example of a rule which works, and which specified a port but
not a protocol ?

Antony.

--

Which part of 'apt-get dist-upgrade' do you not understand ???