find useful documents

Hi all,
I have begun to work with firewalls recently and I have to work with linux's
netfilter. So, I'v some basic questions about it. We (my coworkers in
University of Tehran and I) have decided to  the linux's firewall to have it
make our

1 - Is it needed to remove the current iptables module, if I decide to use a
newer version ?
2 - Where is a basic hands on document about it, so I can learn to  manage
my firewall from core (i mean installation, rule management ...)
, and basically learn how to handle it.
thank you,
--Afshin