Samba Blocked? (repost)

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 05:10 pm, Dan Egli wrote:
> Ok. I'm a fair bit confused here. I'm trying to setup a IPtables filter=
 set
> that will block certain ports and allow others. It seems to work perfec=
tly
> for anything other than Samba. If I try:
>
> smbclient //myserver/shared1, it fails to connect. But using the IP in
> place of it:
> smbclient //192.168.0.2/shared1 works just fine. I am specifically allo=
wing
> NetBIOS-ns, NetBIOS-ssn, and NetBIOS-dgm. Still no go. What's wrong?

> # setp 4 - setup rules
> $IPT -A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --dports smtp,ftp,telnet,ssh -j ACCEP=
> $IPT -A INPUT -p tcp -i eth0 -m multiport --dports
> telnet,ssh,domain,nntp,ntp,printer,pop3,imap,http,https,netbios-ns,netb=
ios-
>d gm,netbios-ssn -j ACCEPT
> $IPT -A INPUT -p udp -i eth0 -m multiport --dports
> domain,ntp,netbios-ns,netbios-dgm,netbios-ssn -j ACCEPT
> $IPT -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> $IPT -A INPUT -j LOG

> P.S. With these rules, it should only log packets that are failing, and=
> see the packets on port 137 in the log, so I don't know what's wrong.

Have you tried replacing netbios-ns with 137 in the rules?  It may not be=
=20
resolving the name properly through your /etc/services file.  I don't see=
 any=20
other reason they should reach the log rule.

If that isn't it, maybe you can post a few of the droplog lines for 137s?=
 =20
Also, I assume you are seeing 137 logged only when connection fails?