mark connections based a quote

>  I need to restrict some connections into a bandwidth on my
> local network.
> The long downloads (and uploads) are very bad for our
> 800k/128k bandwidth.
> I thougth I would restrict the long downloads into a lower
> bandwidth, but I
> don't know how can I mark the long downloads.
> Can I mark the packets which are a part of a long connection

I don't think netfilter/iptables can do what you want, but CBQ or HTB
together with iproute2 can.
In case of HTB (which I think is easier to configure), check out :
http:luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/

Specifically, for bursts (short downloads at high speed) :
http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/manual/userg.htm#burst
You can allow higher bandwidth for short downloads, while larger will be
throttled.

Rob