MS Messenger

On Nov 12 Sneppe Filip did spake thusly:

> Aaron Clausen [mailto:maureen-taocow@alberni.net] wrote:
> >
> >I'm running iptables, and have a user claiming that they cannot use MS
> >Messenger.  I have no other complaints, but I'm not exactly sure if any
> >other users are actually using MS Messenger?  Does there have to be special
> >connection tracking.
> >

> Hi Aaron,
>
> You need a connection tracking helper module if you want to do
> file transfers, as these open random ports. That module has not been
> written yet for netfilter/iptables.
>

> >I'm also blocking the MS file sharing ports at the router.  Would this cause
> >the problem?
> >

> Well, if you block tcp port 1863, or if you block access to the MSN
> login servers, your clients won't be able to sign in. 1863 Is the port
> were everything except file transfers happen, AFAIK.

I got MSN file transfers working fine by installing "reaim" on my gateway...google for it and you'll find it...it just acts as a gatekeeper and it works
really well as far as I can see :)

--
Scott van Looy - email:me@ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
PGP Fingerprint: 7180 5543 C6C4 747B 7E74  802C 7CF9 E526 44D9 D4A7

Disco is to music what Etch-A-Sketch is to art.