local port redirect to remote IP

Replying to my own post here.  Someone posted the link to this
excellent tutorial:

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/chunkyhtml/book1.html

Which gave me a lot of insight, but unfortunately still doesn't cover
the case I want (take packets originating on localhost, going to a
port on localhost, and NAT them to a remote box).

At the bottom of the DNAT explanation:

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/chunkyhtml/x2326.html#DNATTARGET

...it covers something that seems like what I want, which is DNATing
from a firewall to a web server inside a LAN:

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT --dst $INET_IP --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination $HTTP_IP

Using the OUTPUT chain, which I hadn't tried.  So I did this:

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dst 127.0.0.1 --dport 8000 -j DNAT --to-destination 64.58.76.225:80

I think this is on the right track - now when I telnet to port 8000
locally it just locks waiting for the connection.  That implies that
the packets are getting sent out but failing to return.  I tried
switching --dst to be the machine's local IP, thinking that that might
help them find their way back more easily, but no dice.

Any thoughts?

-Adam