DNAT possible with the string module?

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 5:34 pm, Udo Rader wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:36:10 +0000, Antony Stone wrote:
> > On Monday 04 November 2002 3:40 pm, Udo Rader wrote:
> >>
> >> I would like to do the following thing:
> >>
> >> The firewall then ideally takes all connects from clients to port 1234,
> >> looks for a "magic string" (using -m string) in the packages and based
> >> upon the (non)existance of the string finally decides, which daemon to
> >> forward the connect to.
> >
> > I think the answer is no, it cannot work (assuming you are talking about
> > TCP ports and not UDP ports).
> >
> > Before a client can send the magic string you are looking for, it needs
> > to have completed the TCP handshake of SYN - SYN/ACK - ACK, because it's
> > only after that's done that any data gets transferred between the
> > systems.
>
> I see your point.
>
> So am I right that the only way to achive this is by having some kind of
> proxy dealing with this "magic-string"??

Yes, a proxy is the correct solution for this problem (and is nearly always
the correct solution whenever someone thinks of using the --string match).

Antony.

--

Behind the counter a boy with a shaven head stared vacantly into space,
a dozen spikes of microsoft protruding from the socket behind his ear.

 - William Gibson, Neuromancer (1984)