iptables rules for forwarding remote desktop

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 6:45 pm, Steve Howard wrote:

> I have a RedHat 8 machine with 2 ethernet cards. eth0 is connected via dhcp
> to the Internet (cable modem). eth1 is private 192.168.1.1. I have a
> windows xp machine which I have set up to acquire a dhcp address, (it is
> always 192.168.1.10). I would like to be able to use the remote desktop
> (port 3389) from outside. I understand that I will have to forward port
> 3389 to eth0 so that I can access this port from my office machine. I have
> seen recommendations of one rule, and I have seen recommendations that have
> three rules listed. Can anyone help me get this right?

iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 3389 -j DNAT --to
192.168.1.10
iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -s a.b.c.d -p tcp --dport 3389 -j ACCEPT

where a.b.c.d is the address of your office machine - otherwise anyone will
be able to access your xp desktop :-)

I assume this service runs on TCP port 3389 - if it's UDP for some reason,
simply change both instances of tcp to udp in the rules above.

Antony.

--

All matter in the Universe can be placed into one of two categories:

1. things which need to be fixed
2. things which will need to be fixed once you've had a few minutes to play
with them