linux router announces bad ip/mac

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 03:47, Thierry ITTY wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a linux box (rh 73 out of the box on a P200mmx and 2 accton nics)
> with iptables (1.2.3-1)
>
> OK, now here's the problem I get :
> when the box is in router mode, it answers to ARP requests asking for
> 192.168.1.1 coming on NIC B (sent all from the B side PCs in their normal
> network operation process) with NIC B's mac address. this is fine
> BUT, it also answers to ARP requests asking for 192.168.1.1 coming on NIC A
> (sent all from the A side PCs) with NIC A's mac address. and this is of
> course wrong, because A side PCs then send their routed traffic to the
> linux box (which obviously doesn't handle it) instead of sending it to the
> true router.
>
> what causes this behaviour (responding on the A side to arp requests which
> it should not answer to) and how can I cure it ?
>
> tia

I have heard of this problem, but never had to deal with it myself and I
don't have time to test it for you, but I have heard that these kernel
settings will solve the problem.

Not sure this will help, but I think it will:
	http://www.linux-vs.org/~julian/bridging.txt

There are dynamically configurable linux kernel parameters like:
	/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/proxy_arp
    and
	/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_filter

That might help.