concurrent connections

Hello,

>         I have a customer of mine who needs a firewalling solution.
> However they have given specification guidelines such as,
>
>         170 Mbps throughput
>         125,000 simultaneos connections

How many rules do you expect to have and how many NICs are involved? How long do
those 125000 simultaneous connections last in an average case?

>         I looked up the Cisco site & they have products to support this.
> Only thing to note  was the micro-processor & Memory which varied from
> AMD 133 to Intel 1Ghz for their range of models. In order to match this

I seriously doubt that an AMD133 could perform that well.

> what is the spec that I could go for in the Linux Server. Is their any
> sort of yard-stick or rule of thumb for this purpose ?

It all depends a little bit on the design you're going to have. I mean it is
perfectly ok to filter 170 Mbps on a Linux box provided you don't have state
match and a lot of rules and probably LSM in your kernel.

You will definitely need a lot of testing before you can actually sell your box
but someone with such giant requirements certainly has enough money to pay you a
test environment too. At least that's what I've experienced with such customers.

Also you might need a buttload of memory for such a system. Assume for example
that one connection needs only 256 bytes and it will only last for 30 seconds
you would have (as a worst case with a 30 second peak rate):

ratz@zar:~ > echo "125000*256*30/1024/1024" | bc -l
915.52734375000000000000
ratz@zar:~ >

That would be MBytes ;), provided I didn't misinterprete something and that bc
works correctly. I mean nothing is really impossible as we stride towards better
kernels and high end servers.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc