AW: default policy

> > > Ziegler's book states that it should be this (it was never
> > > put in these
> > > words but this is what I am gathering from my reading):
> > > iptables -t nat    -P PREROUTING  DROP
> > > iptables -t nat    -P OUTPUT      DROP
> > > iptables -t nat    -P POSTROUTING DROP
> > > iptables -t mangle -P PREROUTING  DROP
> > > iptables -t mangle -P OUTPUT      DROP
> > > iptables -t filter -P INPUT       DROP
> > > iptables -t filter -P OUTPUT      DROP
> > > iptables -t filter -P FORWARD     DROP
>
> I regard these policies as a very bad idea.   Definitely not
> something to be
> recommended in a book about building good firewalls.   I have
> heard that
> Ziegler's book contains some errors, but if it contains the above
> recommendations for default policies I consider to be a very
> poor text indeed.

Who's Ziegler?

> > Of course you can do that. But this is multiple pleonasm.
> I.e. if you drop
> > PREROUTING you don't have to drop INPUT anymore. If your
> DROP Policy covers
> > every built-in chain you must write a rule for every DROPed
> chain to allow
> > a certain action. Your filter becomes unclear and thus,
> hard to read and
> > hard to manage.
>
> Actually, it is worse than that.
>
> If you are using netfilter's stateful inspection capabilities
> (and you should
> be) then setting the above policies on the nat and mangle
> tables will simply
> stop things from working.

The point is, you must learn how packets traverse the filter. Once you
understand this you will know which policies you have to set DROP.

> You should never set any default policy other than ACCEPT on
> a nat or mangle
> table.
>
> I sometimes think it was a bad idea even to make it possible.

No, I don't think so. It's hard for beginners, yes. But once you understand
what iptables is capable of (compared to other commercial products) you
actually are glad that there is a product giving you control over
everything.
Defining the policies for every chain is such a freedom.

Philipp