Re: [RFC nf-next 3/4] netfilter: nf_tables: insert register zeroing instructions for dodgy chains

Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I would not add this patch and keep the reject behaviour, as the
> > nftables uapi is specifically built around the rule being a standalone
> > object.  I also question if it makes real sense to do such preload from
> > userspace, it has little benefit for well-formed (non-repetitive) rulesets.
>
> I am afraid there won't be an easy way to revert this in this future?
>
> Is there any specific concern you have? Buggy validation allowing to
> access uninitialized registers? In that case, there is a need to
> improve test infrastructure to exercise this code more.

Yes, for one thing, but I also do not see how we can ever move to a
model where registers are re-used by subsequent rules, its incompatible
with the rule-is-smallest-replaceable-object design.

(Meaning: userspace needs to be fully cooperative and aware that
 it cannot insert a random rule at location x).