Re: let nftables indicate incomplete dissections

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 09:50:13AM +0200, Florian Westphal wrote:
> "nft list ruleset" currently omits things it does not understand
> and that it cannot represent in any other way.
>
> This includes:
> 1. expression is unknown
> 2. expression is known (e.g. "cmp"), but attr contains unexpected value
> 3. expression is known but there is an unknown netlink attr contained in
> the dump
>
> If backend (libnftl) could mark expressions as incomplete (from .parse
> callbacks?), it would be then possible for the frontend (nft) to document
> this, e.g. by adding something like "# unknown attributes", or similar.

ack, how do you plan to handle this?

> This is mainly needed for container environments, where host environment
> might be using a lot older version than what is used by a specific
> container image.
>
> Related problem: entity that is using the raw netlink interface, it
> that case libnftnl might be able to parse everything but nft could
> lack the ability to properly print this.

There are two options here:

- Add more raw expressions and dump them, eg. meta@15, where 15 is the type.
  This is more compact. If there is a requirement to allow to restore
  this from older nftables versions, then it might be not enough since
  maybe there is a need for meta@type,somethingelse (as in the ct direction
  case).
- Use a netlink representation as raw expression: meta@1,3,0x0x000000004
  but this requires dumping the whole list of attributes which is chatty.

Or explore a combination of both.

I am telling all this because I suspect maybe this "forward
compatibility" (a.k.a. "old tools support the future") could rise the
bar again and have a requirement to be able to load rulesets that
contains features that old tools don't understand.

> If noone has any objections, I would place this on my todo list and
> start with adding to libnftnl the needed "expression is incomplete"
> marking by extending the .parse callbacks.

Maybe it is worth exploring what I propose above instead of displaying
"expression is incomplete"?