Re: Could not process rule: Cannot allocate memory

Sven Auhagen <sven.auhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When the sets are larger I now always get an error:
> ./main.nft:13:1-26: Error: Could not process rule: Cannot allocate memory
> destroy table inet filter
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> along with the kernel message
> percpu: allocation failed, size=16 align=8 atomic=1, atomic alloc failed, no space left

This specific pcpu allocation failure aside, I think we need to reduce
memory waste with flush op.

Flushing a set with 1m elements will need >100Mbyte worth of memory for
the delsetelem transactional log.

The ratio of preamble to set_elem isn't great, we need 88 bytes for the
nft_trans struct and 24 bytes to store one set elem, i.e. 112 bytes per
to-be-deleted element.

I'd say we should look into adding a del_setelem_many struct that stores
e.g. up to 20 elem_priv pointers.  With such a ratio we could probably
get memory waste down to ~20 Mbytes for 1m element sets.