Re: [netfilter-core] [ANN] net-next is OPEN

Hi Matthieu,

On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 07:31:44PM +0100, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
[...]
> Good point, I understand it sounds better to use 'iptables-nft' in new
> kselftests. I should have added a bit of background and not just a link
> to this commit: at that time (around ~v6.4), we didn't need to force
> using 'iptables-legacy' on -net or net-next tree. But we needed that
> when testing kernels <= v5.15.
>
> When validating (old) stable kernels, the recommended practice is
> apparently [1] to use the kselftests from the last stable version, e.g.
> using the kselftests from v6.7.4 when validating kernel v5.15.148. The
> kselftests are then supposed to support older kernels, e.g. by skipping
> some parts if a feature is not available. I didn't know about that
> before, and I don't know if all kselftests devs know about that.

We are sending backports to stable kernels, if one stable kernel
fails, then we have to fix it.

> I don't think that's easy to support old kernels, especially in the
> networking area, where some features/behaviours are not directly exposed
> to the userspace. Some MPTCP kselftests have to look at /proc/kallsyms
> or use other (ugly?) workarounds [2] to predict what we are supposed to
> have, depending on the kernel that is being used. But something has to
> be done, not to have big kselftests, with many different subtests,
> always marked as "failed" when validating new stable releases.

iptables-nft is supported in all of the existing stable kernels.

> Back to the modification to use 'iptables-legacy', maybe a kernel config
> was missing, but the same kselftest, with the same list of kconfig to
> add, was not working with the v5.15 kernel, while everything was OK with
> a v6.4 one. With 'iptables-legacy', the test was running fine on both. I
> will check if maybe an old kconfig option was not missing.

I suspect this is most likely kernel config missing, as it happened to Jakub.

Thanks.