Re: [libnftnl RFC 2/2] expr: Introduce struct expr_ops::attr_policy

Phil Sutter <phil@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Something like:
> >
> > !attr_policy -> return -1;
>
> Which means I can't procrastinate writing the policies for all 40
> expressions. ;)

Oh, right.

> > type > nftnl_max_attr -> return -1:
> > data_len > maxlen -> return -1.
>
> I wanted to make this an opt-in approach, so I'd rather go with
> maxlen && maxlen < data_len -> return -1.

Alright, it could be made more strict later
once all have been converted.

> > But I admit that this might break compatibility
> > or otherwise leak internals into the api.
>
> It's not entirely straightforward, anyway. NFTNL_EXPR_IMM_CHAIN for
> instance accepts literally anything as long as it's a NUL-terminated
> string. I was unsure whether libnftnl should enforce
> NFT_CHAIN_MAXNAMELEN there or not.

Good point.  ATM libnftnl and nftables are more tightly coupled,
so I don't see why enforcing NFT_CHAIN_MAXNAMELEN would bite us
at some point.

We could also cap to 65528 which is what netlink would permit
(nla attr header plus playload).