Re: libnfnetlink dependency elimination (doc)

Hi Pablo,

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 04:24:11PM +0100, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 05:59:21PM +1100, Duncan Roe wrote:
> > Some of these documented changes haven't happened yet.
>
> Then we have to start by changes first, not the other way around.

Yes I know that, obviously:)

The point here is that nfnl_rcvbufsiz() has been advertised in the main page of
libnetfilter_queue HTML for a long time and there are likely a number of systems
out there that use it. When libnfnetlink is removed, libnetfilter_queue will
have to provide nfnl_rcvbufsiz() or those systems will start failing.

I have in mind that although libnetfilter_queue will provide nfnl_rcvbufsiz(),
there will be no documentation for it.

You will see in
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netfilter-devel/patch/20231112065922.3414-2-duncan_roe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
I replaced the advice to use nfnl_rcvbufsiz() (in 2 places) with advice to use
setsocketopt(). I only mentioned that programs calling nfnl_rcvbufsiz() will
continue to run.

So I offered this patch as the only documentation of how to use
nfnl_rcvbufsiz(). I need it for my testing, but it's fine with me if you don't
want to take it.

Cheers ... Duncan.