Re: nftables: Writers starve readers

On Thu, Jun 01, 2023 at 10:06:24PM +0200, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2023 at 05:11:05PM +0200, Florian Westphal wrote:
> > Phil Sutter <phil@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > A call to 'nft list ruleset' in a second terminal hangs without output.
> > > It apparently hangs in nft_cache_update() because rule_cache_dump()
> > > returns EINTR. On kernel side, I guess it stems from
> > > nl_dump_check_consistent() in __nf_tables_dump_rules(). I haven't
> > > checked, but the generation counter likely increases while dumping the
> > > 100k rules.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > One may deem this scenario unrealistic, but I had to insert a 'sleep 5'
> > > into the while-loop to unblock 'nft list ruleset' again. A new rule
> > > every 4s especially in such a large ruleset is not that unrealistic IMO.
> >
> > Several seconds is very strange indeed, how is the data that needs
> > to be transferred to userspace and how large is the buffer provided
> > during dumps? strace would help here.
> >
> > If thats rather small, then dumping a chain with 10k rules may
> > have to re-iterate the existig list for long time before it finds
> > the starting point on where to resume the dump.
> >
> > > I wonder if we can provide some fairness to readers? Ideally a reader
> > > would just see the ruleset as it was when it started dumping, but
> > > keeping a copy of the large ruleset is probably not feasible.
> >
> > I can't think of a good solution.  We could add a
> > "--allow-inconsistent-dump" flag to nftables that disables the restart
> > logic for -EINTR case, but we can't make that the default unfortunately.
> >
> > Or we could experiment with serializing the remaining rules into a
> > private kernel-side kmalloc'd buffer once the userspace buffer is
> > full, then copy from that buffer on resume without the inconsistency check.
> >
> > I don't think that we can solve this, slowing down writers when there
> > are dumpers will load to the same issue, just in the oppostite direction.
>
> There are currently two pending issues that, if addressed, could
> improve things:
>
> NLM_F_INTR is set on in case writer infers with a reader, currently
> forcing userspace to read all of the remaining messages to leave
> things in consistent state, otherwise next dump request hits EILSEQ in
> libmnl. Before 6d085b22a8b5 ("table: support for the table owner
> flag"), the socket was closed and reopen to workaround this issue.
> There should be a way to discard the ongoing netlink dump without
> having to read the remaining messages, that should also improve
> things.

I tried restoring the immediate return from nft_mnl_recv() adding socket
close and open calls to sanitize things. Assuming my changes are
correct, they don't have a noticeable effect: The same test-case still
allows for a 4s delay in the rule add'n'delete loop to starve 'nft list
ruleset'.

> It should be possible to add generation counters per object type, so
> userspace does not have to ditch all what it has in its cache, only
> what it has changed. Currently the generation counter is global.

I guess the added complexity is probably not worth it. Kernel-side could
be pretty simple, but user space could no longer rely upon
nft_cache::genid but had to fetch each object's genid to check if the
local cache is outdated, plus I have no idea how one would detect that a
new table was added.

Cheers, Phil