Re: [iptables-nft RFC 1/5] nft-shared: dump errors on stdout to garble output

Phil Sutter <phil@xxxxxx> wrote:
> What I don't like about this is that users won't notice the problem
> until they try to restore the ruleset. For us it is clearly beneficial
> to see where things break, but I doubt regular users care and we should
> just tell them to stop mixing iptables and nft calls.

So what would you propose...?

> Can we maybe add "--force" to iptables-nft-save to make it print as much
> as possible despite the table being considered incompatible? Not sure
> how ugly this is to implement, though.

I don't see this as useful thing because we already have "nft --debug=netlink".

> We still exit(0) in case parsing fails, BTW. Guess this is the most
> important thing to fix despite all the above.

Huh?
iptables-restore < bla
iptables-restore v1.8.8 (nf_tables): unknown option "--bla"
Error occurred at line: 7 Try `iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.

... exits with 2.

Can you give an example?