Re: Upgrading iptables firewall on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 02:47:00PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 11.08.22 um 14:39 schrieb Phil Sutter:

> >> besides that it's a terrible idea to randomly overwrite  distro files
> >> one should have explained the OP that the actual firewall lives in the
> >> kernel
> >
> > I didn't suggest "to randomly overwrite distro files".
>
> download and compile it yourself leads in exactly that

Not at all: One has to *install* it and even pass --prefix to configure,
otherwise binaries end in /usr/local and nothing's overwritten. One may
even use 'make uninstall' to get rid of the stuff again.

> >> so this update is pretty pointless unless you have to fix a specific
> >> problem in the userland component
> >
> > We don't know why OP wants v1.8.8. That aside, RHEL9 kernel is pretty
> > recent.
> it don't matter how recent it is
>
> when one writes "Upgrading iptables firewall" he pretty sure don't
> understand that the firewall itself is in the kernel and not in the
> iptables-packages

That same person mentions RPMs and explicitly requests a user space
package version upgrade. I really think you're interpreting too much
into that initial email. Besides that, if you see a lack of crucial
information, why don't you chime in and fill that gap instead of
pointlessly discussing how my response may or may not cause harm? I may
be an idiot who likes to troll people, but who are you choosing to point
that out instead of investing the time helping those you're trying to
defend?

Cheers, Phil