Re: [RFC] netfilter: nf_tables: ignore errors on flowtable device hw offload setup

On 13.05.22 09:49, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 10:27:39PM +0200, Felix Fietkau wrote:
In many cases, it's not easily possible for user space to know, which
devices properly support hardware offload.

Then, it is a matter of extending the netlink interface to expose this
feature? Probably add a FLOW_BLOCK_PROBE or similar which allow to
consult if this feature is available?

Even if a device supports hardware flow offload, it is not
guaranteed that it will actually be able to handle the flows for
which hardware offload is requested.

When might this happen?
I think there are many possible reasons: The flow might be using features not supported by the offload driver. Maybe it doesn't have any space left in the offload table. I'm sure there are many other possible reasons it could fail.

Ignoring errors on the FLOW_BLOCK_BIND makes it a lot easier to set up
configurations that use hardware offload where possible and gracefully
fall back to software offload for everything else.

I understand this might be useful from userspace perspective, because
forcing the user to re-try is silly.

However, on the other hand, the user should have some way to know from
the control plane that the feature (hardware offload) that they
request is not available for their setup.
In my opinion, most users of this API probably don't care and just want to have offload on a best effort basis. Assuming that is the case, wouldn't it be better if we simply have an API that indicates, which flowtable members hardware offload was actually enabled for?

- Felix