Re: Support for loading firewall rules with cgroup(v2) expressions early

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 07:37:00PM +0300, Topi Miettinen wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > Simulating systemd adding the cgroup of a service to the set:
> > > # nft add element inet filter cg "system.slice/systemd-resolved.service"
> > >
> > > Cgroup ID (inode number of the cgroup) has been successfully added:
> > > # nft list set inet filter cg
> > >          set cg {
> > >                  typeof socket cgroupv2 level 0
> > >                  elements = { 6032 }
> > >          }
> > > # ls -id /sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/systemd-resolved.service
> > > 6032 /sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/systemd-resolved.service/
> >
> > You could define a ruleset that describes the policy following the
> > cgroupsv2 hierarchy. Something like this:
> >
> >   table inet filter {
> >          map dict_cgroup_level_1 {
> >                  type cgroupsv2 : verdict;
> >                  elements = { "system.slice" : jump system_slice }
> >          }
> >
> >          map dict_cgroup_level_2 {
> >                  type cgroupsv2 : verdict;
> >                  elements = { "system.slice/systemd-timesyncd.service" : jump systemd_timesyncd }
> >          }
> >
> >          chain systemd_timesyncd {
> >                  # systemd-timesyncd policy
> >          }
> >
> >          chain system_slice {
> >                  socket cgroupv2 level 2 vmap @dict_cgroup_level_2
> >                  # policy for system.slice process
> >          }
> >
> >          chain input {
> >                  type filter hook input priority filter; policy drop;
> >                  socket cgroupv2 level 1 vmap @dict_cgroup_level_1
> >          }
> >   }
> >
> > The dictionaries per level allows you to mimic the cgroupsv2 tree
> > hierarchy
> >
> > This allows you to attach a default policy for processes that belong
> > to the "system_slice" (at level 1). This might also be useful in case
> > that there is a process in the group "system_slice" which does not yet
> > have an explicit level 2 policy, so level 1 policy applies in such
> > case.
> >
> > You might want to apply the level 1 policy before the level 2 policy
> > (ie. aggregate policies per level as you move searching for an exact
> > cgroup match), or instead you might prefer to search for an exact
> > match at level 2, otherwise backtrack to closest matching cgroupsv2
> > for this process.
>
> Nice ideas, but the rules can't be loaded before the cgroups are realized at
> early boot:
>
> Mar 30 19:14:45 systemd[1]: Starting nftables...
> Mar 30 19:14:46 nft[1018]: /etc/nftables.conf:305:5-44: Error: cgroupv2 path
> fails: Permission denied
> Mar 30 19:14:46 nft[1018]: "system.slice/systemd-timesyncd.service" : jump
> systemd_timesyncd
> Mar 30 19:14:46 nft[1018]: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Mar 30 19:14:46 systemd[1]: nftables.service: Main process exited,
> code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
> Mar 30 19:14:46 systemd[1]: nftables.service: Failed with result
> 'exit-code'.
> Mar 30 19:14:46 systemd[1]: Failed to start nftables.

I guess this unit file performs nft -f on cgroupsv2 that do not exist
yet.

Could you just load the base policy with empty dictionaries instead,
then track and register the cgroups into the ruleset as they are being
created/removed?

> > There is also the jump and goto semantics for chains that can be
> > combined in this chain tree.
> >
> > BTW, what nftables version are you using? My listing does not show
> > i-nodes, instead it shows the path.
>
> Debian version: 1.0.2-1. The inode numbers seem to be caused by my SELinux
> policy. Disabling it shows the paths:
>
>         map dict_cgroup_level_2_sys {
>                 type cgroupsv2 : verdict
>                 elements = { 5132 : jump systemd_timesyncd }
>         }
>
>         map dict_cgroup_level_1 {
>                 type cgroupsv2 : verdict
>                 elements = { "system.slice" : jump system_slice,
>                              "user.slice" : jump user_slice }
>         }
>
> Above "system.slice/systemd-timesyncd.service" is a number because the
> cgroup ID became stale when I restarted the service. I think the policy
> doesn't work then anymore.

Yes, you have to refresh your policy on cgroupsv2 updates.