Looking for info on ipset set type revisions

I am working on a C program that uses libmnl to do some basic ipset
manipulation - namely create a set of type hash:ip,port and then add
entries.

The best technique I've found to figure out the exact messages required
is to use strace with the ipset command.  strace does a pretty good job
of decoding the netlink messages, and I can generally figure out the
significance and meaning of other constants by looking at the various
header files.

The one thing that I haven't yet been able to figure out is set type
revisions.  When I use ipset to create a hash:ip,port set, I see that
it is passing 6 as the IPSET_ATTR_REVISION.  I can also that 6 is the
latest revision in lib/ipset_hash_ipportip.c, which is fine when using
the ipset command or calling libipset.

What about programs that don't use libipset?  How can an application
determine the latest/correct revision of a particular set type?  I
haven't been able to find anything in any of the header files that
seems relevant, nor do I see any way for an application to discover this
information at runtime.

Should I just hardcode 6?

Thanks!

Google                                      Where SkyNet meets Idiocracy