Re: libnetfilter_queue: automake portability warning

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 03:39:38PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Friday 2021-08-27 23:09, Jeremy Sowden wrote:
>
> >Running autogen.sh gives the following output when it gets to
> >doxygen/Makefile.am:
> >
> >  doxygen/Makefile.am:3: warning: shell find $(top_srcdir: non-POSIX variable name
> >  doxygen/Makefile.am:3: (probably a GNU make extension)
> >
> >Automake doesn't understand the GNU make $(shell ...) [...]
>
> Or, third option, ditch the wildcarding and just name the sources. If going for
> a single Makefile (ditching recursive make), that will also be beneficial for
> parallel building, and the repo is not too large for such undertaking to be
> infeasible.

Certainly naming the sources would work.

But, with wildcarding, Makefile.am works unmodified in other projects, such as
libmnl. Indeed I was planning to have libmnl/autogen.sh fetch both
doxygen/Makefile.am and doxygen/build_man.sh

If the project ends up with a single Makefile, it could `include` nearly all of
the existing doxygen/Makefile.am, and autogen.sh could fetch that in other
projects.

In any case, is wildcarding incompatible with having a single Makefile?

Cheers ... Duncan.